Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) established a Septage Management Advisory Committee in February 2004, to provide advice and recommendations
on improving the management of wastewater removed from septic tanks, pit toilets and similar systems.
The Septage Management Advisory Committee, with representatives from government, municipalities, the septage industry and academia, was asked to:
- Review current practices and Alberta regulations related to the management of septage from residential dwellings and commercial facilities
- Review other jurisdictions' standards and requirements related to land application of septage
- Prepare a recommendation report that:
- Proposes acceptable methods for the disposal of septage, including management standards, to address environmental and health concerns
- Proposes a regulatory strategy for the disposal of septage that is effective and streamlined and includes an implementation plan
The committee submitted its final report and recommendations to the department on October 15, 2004.
Since 2005, AEP has continued to work with the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, Alberta Urban Municipalities Association,
Alberta Onsite Wastewater Management Association, Alberta Municipal Affairs, and Alberta Transportation to advance the management of septage in Alberta.
In May 2008, the department prepared a draft document entitled:
Updated: Jun 8, 2018