Household Hazardous Waste Program FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about the Household Hazardous Waste Program

Program Funding

How is the Household Hazardous Waste Program funded?

The Household Hazardous Waste Program is funded by three entities:

  • Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) funds two aspects of the program:
    • Material consolidation and transportation ($1.5 million in 2015-16)
    • Material disposal at Swan Hills Treatment Centre ($480,000 in 2015-16)

    AEP funding provides a financial incentive to encourage the collection of material and transportation for disposal and was not created to cover the full cost for the service.

  • Alberta Infrastructure subsidizes the cost of material disposal at Swan Hills Treatment Centre (about $1.7 million in 2014-15)
  • Participating municipalities fund a significant portion of material collection and often a portion of material transportation; this funding is based on individual business arrangements with the registered broker of their choice

How does Alberta Environment and Parks determine its program funding?

Funding is determined annually through the overall department budgeting process.

How are program funds distributed to registered brokers?

Alberta Recycling Management Authority (Alberta Recycling) is contracted by AEP to administer the program funds to registered brokers.

To be eligible for the funding, brokers register with Alberta Recycling and submit claims for the eligible materials in accordance with program requirements.

Material Collected

What happens to the material collected through the household hazardous waste program?

Aerosols are sent to an Alberta-based recycling facility and the rest of the material is transported to the Swan Hills Treatment Centre for disposal.

Payment Structure for Brokers

How were registered brokers paid for household hazardous waste material prior to April 1, 2016?

For non-aerosol material, broker payment was based on the number of drums saved by consolidating collected material. For example, if a broker collected 15 partially-full drums and consolidated that material into five drums for transport to Swan Hills, the broker would be paid for saving 10 drums.

For aerosol containers, brokers were paid on a per-unit basis.

How will registered brokers be paid for household hazardous waste material as of April 1, 2016?

For non-aerosol material, brokers will be paid a per kilogram rate for eligible material delivered to the Swan Hills Treatment Centre for disposal instead of the previous rate paid on drums saved. Material collected from areas other than Edmonton and Calgary will receive additional per kilogram funding in recognition of additional collection costs.

A similar weight-based system is in place for the Paint Recycling Program operated by Alberta Recycling. Current household hazardous waste brokers participate in the Paint Recycling Program.

For aerosol containers, brokers will continue to be paid on a per unit basis.

Alberta Recycling will distribute funds to registered brokers as claims are submitted in accordance with the program requirements and until funding is expended. As in the past, with funding established at the beginning of the year and the amount of material collected being variable, it is possible that funding will be exhausted prior to the end of the year.

Alberta Recycling will provide an update of unexpended funds monthly to brokers. Municipalities can request this update directly from Alberta Recycling.

Why is the payment structure for brokers being updated?

The new weight-based payment structure will improve reporting, and support increased accountability, transparency and efficient use of program funds.

In addition, this change will increase broker flexibility to secure additional clients over the course of the year and receive funding for that material. This could result in municipalities having greater choice in service providers.

Participation and Broker Registration

How do municipalities participate in the program?

Participation in the program is voluntary. Municipalities that choose to participate are responsible for the collection of material and selecting a registered broker to deliver the material to the Swan Hills Treatment Centre or, in the case of aerosols, to the appropriate recycling facility.

Municipalities and registered brokers determine their own contractual arrangements. A list of current registered program brokers can be provided by Alberta Recycling.

How can a broker become registered with the program and apply to receive program funding?

To become registered, a broker must demonstrate to Alberta Recycling that they meet a standard list of requirements. Examples of requirements include, but are not limited to, appropriate insurance, transportation permits and workers compensation board certification.

The broker must also remain in good standing with the program by submitting all required documentation. Brokers can register with the program at any time during the year.

Related Information

Where can I find out more information about the Household Hazardous Waste Program?

For more information, see:


Page Information

Posted: Feb 29, 2016