(opened for limited grazing in 1961, formally established in 1962)
||76,681 acres (31,013 hectares)
||Rolling, divided by steep coulee banks
||Dry mixed grass
||Dry mixed grass sub-region of the grassland natural region
||79 km south of Milk River
||Pinhorn Grazing Association
(effective April 1, 1997)
Also maintains the fences, dugouts, three corral system and the buildings located at the headquarters site.
||Mid-May to mid-October
||2800 head of livestock
|Wildlife and game:
||Oil and gas exploration
This reserve is located along the border, directly south of Medicine Hat. It's crossed by the Milk River. Its name comes
from an old post office on the south side of the river which honored a veterinary inspector who served in the North West
Mounted Police. Pinhorn inspected all the livestock at this Canadian port of entry.
Regulatory Conditions of Recreational Access
Under Sections 9(3) and 9(4) of the Recreational Access Regulation, recreational users must:
- Not litter;
- Have direct control of any animal brought onto the agricultural disposition land;
- Not park vehicles so that they block an approach to land;
- Not enter or use any building or improvement on the disposition;
- Not cause any damage to the agricultural disposition land or the property of the disposition holder;
- Leave gates and other property as they were found;
- Comply with an applicable recreational management plan, if any; and
- Comply with the restrictions, prohibitions, terms and conditions, if any, imposed by the Local Settlement Officer, or Director.
For more information, see:
Specific Access Conditions for this Disposition
- LSO conditions - No recreational access is permitted in pastures where livestock are grazing.
- LSO conditions - Recreational motorized vehicles allowed on existing gravel trails and roads only.
- LSO conditions - No fires permitted at any time.
- LSO condition - No recreational motorized vehicles allowed during a fire ban imposed by the Local Fire Authority.
- LSO condition - No overnight camping is permitted.
Updated: Sep 17, 2015