To better serve site visitors, Government of Alberta ministry web content is being centralized on Webpages on this ministry site will be either relocated to or removed over the next few months. Messaging and redirects will help guide you to updated content during and after this transition. Scheduled completion date for this project is March 31, 2019. Thank you for your patience as we proceed with these changes.

Contaminant Management

When a substance is released or a release is suspected, the responsible party is required to report the spill, learn about the contamination through delineation, create a remediation plan, clean up or control the substance by remediation or risk management and report on the outcomes.

Certain types of industrial facilities also require operating Approval(s) if they have the potential to release substances into the environment that may create risk to human health and the environment through impacts to soil or water. To learn about contaminant management in an industrial setting or potential beneficial environmental use of municipal by-products, see:


Remediation is reducing, removing or destroying substances in soil, water or groundwater through the application of physical, chemical or biological processes. Success is assessed against guidelines, which take into account site conditions and land use. The person(s) responsible for the release or suspected release is required to restore the environment to a condition satisfactory to the Department.

Alberta’s Contaminated Sites Policy Framework (2014) presents the legislation, regulation, policies and guidelines for remediation. It is designed to encourage pollution prevention, health protection and productive land use.

To learn more about environmental site assessment, remediation and risk management, see:


A brownfield property is a commercial or industrial property which is, or possibly is, contaminated; is vacant, derelict or underutilized; and is suitable for development or redevelopment (Modernized Municipal Government Act, 2016).

To learn more about brownfields in Alberta, see:

Environmental Site Assessments

To search for environmental site assessment reports for a location of interest, use the Government of Alberta’s Repository at:

Conservation and Reclamation

For information on Alberta’s land conservation or reclamation guidelines and programs, see:


The Land Policy Branch can be reached toll free by dialing 310-0000 and then dialing the number shown below:

Land Policy Branch, Policy and Planning Division
Alberta Environment and Parks
10th Floor, 9820-106 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J6
Phone: 780 427-2700
Fax: 780 422-4192


Page Information

Updated: Sep 27, 2018