Domestic Vendors Wholesale/Retail

The following information summarizes the regulatory requirements for the wholesale and retail sale of federally classified Domestic Class (Alberta classified Schedule 3 and 4) pesticides.

What authorizations are required to sell Domestic pesticides in Alberta?

Anyone who sells a Schedule 3 pesticide ("Domestic" class pesticide intended for lawn and garden use) at wholesale in Alberta is required to hold Wholesale Vendor Registration.

Anyone who sells a Schedule 3 pesticide at retail in Alberta must, at each retail outlet:

  • employ at least one Lawn and Garden Pesticide Dispenser Certificate holder (or certified Pesticide Applicator)
  • ensure a dispenser or dispenser assistant* is working at the outlet at all times that the outlet is open for business.

*When a dispenser is temporarily away from the outlet, a dispenser assistant can authorize the sale of pesticides.

Lawn and Garden Pesticide Dispensers Certificates are issued by Olds College, Commercial Pesticide Dispenser Certificates and Pesticide Applicator Certificates are issued by Lakeland College.

The Dispenser must train all dispenser assistants working at the same outlet they are employed at, each year, using the training checklist provided in the Environmental Code of Practice for Pesticides (Appendix B)

For further information contact:

There are no vendor or dispenser requirements to sell Schedule 4 pesticides* in Alberta, although the vendor must ensure that the display and/or storage of the pesticide is not likely to and/or does not cause an adverse effect.

* Vendors must review all labels of products sold to ensure no certification statements are present.

NOTE: Where a label has a certification statement, then it is classified as a Schedule 2 pesticide and a vendor registration is required.

An explanation of how pesticides are scheduled in Alberta for sales and use can be found in the provincial pesticide regulations.

What are a Domestic Vendor record keeping requirements?

Domestic Wholesale Vendor Record Keeping Requirements

A registered Wholesale Pesticide Vendor may only sell these pesticides to retailers who employ a certified Lawn and Garden Pesticide Dispenser. A record of each Schedule 3 pesticide sale must be kept for five years. Each record must include the following information:

  • name and address of purchaser;
  • purchaser's Wholesale, Retail Vendor Registration or Agrichemical Warehouse Standards Association (AWSA) Certificate number (if applicable) and expiry date.
  • Pesticide Dispenser or applicator certificate holder's name, certificate number and expiry date
  • product name (including the Pest Control Products Registration number) and quantity of pesticide(s) sold
  • date of shipment.

A summary of these sale records must be provided to Alberta Environment and Parks within 30 days of a written notice of request from the Director.

Domestic Retail Vendor Record Keeping Requirements

Domestic retail vendors are not required to keep a record of sales.

What are Domestic Vendor responsibilities?

The following requirements must be followed by Domestic Pesticide Wholesale Registration holders and Retailers.

Domestic pesticide vendors are responsible to ensure:

  • pesticides are stored and displayed in an appropriate manner;
  • pesticide emergencies are responded to effectively;
  • unwanted pesticide and pesticide waste are disposed of in accordance with regulations; and
  • customers are assisted with product selection and product use information.

Domestic pesticide vendors must meet the following requirements:

  • spill cleanup and protective equipment must be available for pesticide spills and staff responsible for pesticides must be knowledgeable regarding pesticide spill clean-up and fire response procedures (pesticide dispenser training provides this information)
  • floor drains in pesticide display area must be protected from release of a pesticide
  • pesticides kept outdoors must be protected from rain, wind and other weather hazards
  • pesticide spills that result in a release beyond the outlet (including odours) are reported to Alberta Environment and Parks within 24 hours (1 800 222-6514)
  • cannot store within 30 horizontal metres of open water (unless authorized to store closer in a Special Use Approval) or on sites where the risk of flooding is less than a 24 hour, 1 in 25 year storm
  • cannot sell where groceries (fresh or frozen meat, fresh or frozen produce, fresh dairy products, unwrapped baked goods, etc.) are sold
  • must ensure that the following are not subject to pesticide contamination:
    • beverages
    • food (packaged items such as cookies, nuts, candy, etc.)
    • personal use items (cosmetics, disposable diapers; drugs, first aid and medical supplies, personal hygiene products)

For more information on pesticide release reporting requirements, see the Release Reporting Guideline published by the department.

Domestic retail vendors must meet the following display requirements:

  • cannot display pesticides where groceries (fresh or frozen meat, fresh or frozen produce, fresh dairy products, unwrapped baked goods, etc.) are sold; and
  • must ensure that pesticides are displayed a minimum distance of 3 metres and one aisle away from food, beverages and personal use items.

Further information on Domestic Vendor Requirements is available:


Questions concerning the sale of Schedule 3 and 4pesticides, or any other pesticide regulatory requirement can be directed to the nearest regional office.

The regional offices can also be reached by phoning 310-0000 and asking for the Alberta Environment and Parks office within your region.

Questions regarding Lawn and Garden Pesticide Dispensers can be directed to Olds College at:

  • Tel: 1 800 661-6537


Page Information

Updated: Sep 24, 2018