Commercial Retail Vendor Requirements
Any operation that sells federally classed "Restricted" or "Commercial" (Schedule 1 and 2) class pesticides at retail in Alberta is required to hold the following at each outlet location:
- Pesticide Retail Vendor Registration OR
- valid Agrichemical Warehouse Standards Association (AWSA) Certificate of Compliance
- employ at least one Commercial Pesticide Dispenser Certificate holder (or certified Pesticide Applicator)
- ensure a dispenser or dispenser assistant* is working at the outlet at all times that the outlet is open for business.
*When a dispenser is temporarily away from the outlet, a dispenser assistant can authorize the sale of pesticides.
NOTE: vendor registration is immediately suspended when a dispenser or applicator is not employed at the outlet and automatically re-instated when the outlet has one.
The holder of a Pesticide Retail Vendor Registration or AWSA Certificate of Compliance is responsible for ensuring that:
- pesticides are stored in accordance to with the regulations or in the case of AWSA, the requirements for storage by the Agrichemical Warehouse Standards Association;
- pesticide emergencies are reported (1 800 222-6514) and cleaned up appropriately;
- pesticides are only sold to authorized persons; and
- records of pesticide sales are maintained.
For further information see:
In situations where the operation sells pesticides and provides a pesticide application service, the operation must hold both a Pesticide Vendor Registration and Service Registration and must:
- employ a certified pesticide applicator OR
- hire a third party contractor and ensure they hold a valid and appropriate service registration and that they employ the appropriate class of certified applicators
NOTE: Provisions for training of a Pesticide Dispenser Assistant have been included in the Environmental Code of Practice for Pesticides to assist dispensers to ensure that appropriate sales and storage requirements continue to be administered when they are not available on site.
An operation that only sells a Restricted or Commercial class pesticide at retail that is registered for use on livestock or farm buildings (bedding, corrals, barns, pens, stables and other livestock enclosures) is exempt from the vendor and dispenser requirement. These pesticides are classified in Alberta as Schedule 4 pesticides (exempt). The Registered Pesticide Product Listing identifies all Schedule 4 pesticides.
Note: Vendors must review all labels of products sold to ensure no certification statements are present. Where a label has a certification statement, then it is classified as a Schedule 2 pesticide and a vendor registration is required.
Commercial Wholesale Vendor Requirements
Pesticide vendors selling federal classes of Restricted, Commercial or Domestic class pesticides (Schedule 1 and 2) at wholesale to another wholesale vendor or to a retail vendor must hold a Wholesale Vendor Registration. Further information on the requirements and application form for vendors can be viewed at: