Environmental assessment is required where the complexity and scale of a proposed project, technology, resource allocation, or siting considerations create uncertainty about the exact nature of environmental effects, or result in a potential for significant adverse environmental effects.
The Environmental Assessment process allows companies and government decision makers to examine the effects that a proposed project may have on the environment. The information gathered during the process helps the appropriate Regulatory Board determine if the project is in the public interest.
As of October 1, 2014, the Alberta Energy Regulator is responsible for environmental assessments related to energy resources activity, including upstream oil, oil sands, natural gas, and coal development in the province.
Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) will continue to maintain a single register of all environmental assessment activity information
this website (see Summary of Environmental Assessment Activity).
- Alberta's Environmental Assessment Process- Dec 2015 (4 pages, <1 MB)
- Frequently Asked Questions- Feb 2010 (10 pages, <1 MB)
- Glossary of Environmental Assessment Terms and Acronyms Used in Alberta- Feb 2010 (31 pages, <1 MB)
- Guide to Preparing Environmental Impact Assessment Reports in Alberta- Mar 2013 (29 pages, <1 MB)
- Guide to Providing Comments on Proposed Terms of Reference- Feb 2010 (4 pages, <1 MB)
- Guide to Reviewing Environmental Impact Assessment Reports- Mar 2010 (32 pages, <1 MB)
- Preparing Disclosure Documents for EA Screenings- Jan 2010 (4 pages, <1 MB)
- Preparing for and Submitting an EIA Report- Feb 2010 (3 pages, <1 MB)
- Preparing a Project Summary Table– May 2017 (2 pages, <1 MB)
- Project Summary Table– May 2017 (1 page, <1 MB)
Standardized Terms of Reference- Jan 2013 (1 page, <1 MB)
Third-Party Contracting (3PC)
E-Mail Information Service
In 1999, the governments of Canada and Alberta signed a cooperative agreement to avoid duplication and ensure that environmental assessments are conducted as efficiently and effectively as possible.
For further details on the Environmental Assessment process for non-energy related activities or to report issues with this website, please contact Alberta Environmental Assessment at:
Phone: 310-3773 (toll-free)
For information regarding energy related activities, please contact the Alberta Energy Regulator at:
Phone: 1 855 297-8311 (toll-free)
Updated: Apr 24, 2018