Approvals are required for the following:
- Coal mines
- Coal processing plants
- Oil sands mines
- Oil production sites where an environmental impact assessment was required
- Sand, gravel pits 5 ha (12.5 acres) or larger, on private land
- Pipelines with an index of 2,690-plus (some pipelines are exempt)
- Quarries where an environmental impact assessment was required
- Transmission lines, 130 kV or more, where an environmental impact assessment was required
- Peat operations where an environmental impact assessment was required
Regional Directors issue the approvals and regional staff conduct periodic site visits to ensure compliance.
The Code of Practice for Exploration Operations and the Code of Practice for Oil Production Sites have been developed to replace approval requirements.
Operators affected by any Code must meet all its requirements to ensure that their activities are in compliance with Alberta's environmental laws.
For more information see:
To view approvals issued by Alberta Environment and Parks under the Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act see:
Updated: Aug 19, 2015