GNS is the definitive source for all base feature naming.
Named geographic features
The named geographic features in GNS are:
- Aerodrome, Air Weapons Range
- Basin, Bay, Beach, Bluff, Bottom, Brook, Buffalo Jump, Butte
- Cairn, Canal, Cape, Cave, Channel, Chutes, City, Cliff, Coulee, Creek
- Dam, Draw
- Falls, Fen, Ferry, Flat, Ford, Forest Reserve
- Gap, Gate, Glacier, Grove, Gulch
- Hamlet, Heliport, Hill, Hollow, Hump
- Icefield, Indian Reserve, Inlet, Island
- Lake, Locality
- Marsh, Meadow, Metis Settlement, Military Base, Mountain, Mountains, Municipality, Muskeg
- Narrows, National Park, Natural Area
- Pass, Peak, Plain, Plateau, Point, Pond, Port of Entry, Portage, Post Office, Prairie, Provincial Park
- Railway Point, Range, Rapids, Recreation Area, Reservoir, Ridge, River, River Bend, River Crossing, River Junction, Rock
- Settlement, Slide, Slough, Spring, Summer Village
- Town, Townsite, Trench
- Valley, Village
- Wall, Wilderness Area
Each named geographic feature is referenced to a 1:20 000 National Topographic System Map Sheet.
- The location (geographic and legal) used for aerial features is the centre point of the feature on the map sheet.
- The location used for lineal features is the beginning point of the feature on the map sheet.
Information included in named geographic features
Each named geographic feature includes the following information:
- feature name
- feature status
- 1:20 000 NTS map sheet reference
- legal land description (meridian, range, township, section)
- latitude (degrees, minutes, seconds)
- latitude (decimal degrees)
- longitude (degrees, minutes, seconds)
- longitude (decimal degrees)
- source of data
- last update date
- gazetted date
- miscellaneous comments.
Place names also include population and population year.
Alberta Geographic Names sources
The sources of the Alberta Geographic Names are:
- Alberta Gazette
- Canadian Flight Supplement
- Federal Government
- Geographic Names Committee
- Orders in Council
The data is maintained as new information becomes available.