Provincial Base Map Series - 1:1 000 000 Scale Maps
This cartographic quality series of 1:1 000 000 scale colour maps covers the provincial extent of Alberta.
The series is now available as a fee free download and provided in a geo-referenced Adobe PDF format under the Open Government Licence – Alberta.
Of note, the series is derived from the Provincial Base Map Series source digital vector data that is also available under the Open Government Licence – Alberta and is distributed by AltaLIS Ltd. - Small Scale Mapping - 1:1 Million Base.
These maps display:
- Alberta Township System (ATS)
- major hydrographic features
- major roads
- select geo-administrative features (parks, reserves, etc.)
In addition to the primary provincial base map, this series includes various themes that overlay the primary base map.
Map Coverage and How to View
At this scale 1.0 cm on the map represents 10 km on the ground. Each map covers an area of 10 degrees of longitude and 11 degrees of latitude. Generally these maps are printed on 78.74 x 129.54cm (31" x 51") paper size.
This product can be viewed on a computer, printed or be plotted in part or in whole. To maintain the original map scale when printing the entire product, it must be plotted on a plotter that can use paper that is a minimum width of 82cm
Map Series Updates and Samples
The update of this map series is based on the provincial Base Features Access Update Program that has an approximate 5 year update cycle. Refer to the 'time period of content' in the *.xml FGDC metadata record provided with each map product
download for currency of each map product.
This series is updated on an annual basis.
View a sample 1: 1 000 000 map sheet:
Map Sheet Download: Open Government
The map series is available as a fee free download under the Open Government Licence - Alberta.
To download 1:1 000 000 map sheets, select the desired map sheet identifier below. Each map sheet is provided in a geo-referenced Adobe PDF format within a downloadable WinZip file. Please note: each zipped map sheet package varies in size with 17mb’s being an average size.
PLEASE NOTE: Your use of the information will be governed by the terms of the Open Government Licence - Alberta, in force as of the date you accessed the information.
Map Sheet Themes of the Map Series
Government of Alberta Administrative Themes
Wildlife Management Themes
- Provincial Base Map - plus Land-use Framework Planning Regions, Treaty Boundary
- Provincial Base Map - plus Land-use Framework Planning Regions, Forest Management Units / Forest Management Agreement Holders, Green/White Area
- Provincial Base Map - plus Land-use Framework Planning Regions, Municipalities, Green/White Area
- Provincial Base Map - plus Land-use Framework Planning Regions, EP Operations Regions, Municipalities, Green/White Area
- Provincial Base Map – plus Metis Nation Regional Zones, Treaty Boundary, Municipalities
Updated: Jun 20, 2018