Collecting and Submitting Fisheries Data
The information you collect is an important contribution to the knowledge base for fisheries and wildlife management.
Collected data are to be entered into a FWMIS loadform (Microsoft Excel workbook) according to the type of survey. Please check back periodically for FWMIS loadform updates.
How to Complete and Submit FWMIS Loadforms
- Review the FWMIS Data Submission Guide for information and tips for using the FWMIS loadforms.
- Email completed FWMIS loadforms to the Fish and Wildlife representative responsible for the area of your data collection. For area contact maps and information, see:
FWMIS Fisheries Loadforms
For the common fisheries survey types of electrofishing, trap netting (including minnow traps and dip nets), test netting, seining, sample angling, and aquatic habitat surveys.
For Creel and Sportfish Survey data.
For brief data entry of fish kills into FWMIS to allow for searchability and the generation of Fish
Kill reports. Also attach the Word Fish Kill loadform so that more detailed information is available if required.
For random observations collected under a non-structured methodology, or by chance.
Examples of random observation surveys may be tag returns from an angler or other secondary fish or wildlife observations collected in association with another primary survey.
For aquatic habitat observations collected using a data logger.
If your survey type is unique and does not fit the methodologies found within the above loadform, contact:
- Surveys for which no fish were caught should be recorded and submitted and the text, "No fish caught" entered in the survey comments field.
- Please submit habitat information when collected in the field.
- Please download a new loadform for every new submission as the loadforms are continually being updated. You will also avoid problems like corrupting the worksheets by copying over old data or unintentionally submitting already previously
- FWMIS also stores images and documents which provides context and enhances the data collected. Please submit any images or reports in digital format.
Updated: Jan 23, 2019