Screen-reader users: the following section uses links to control collapsible areas of content.
Alberta Carbon Offset System Guidance
Approved Quantification Protocols
- Aerobic Composting1- Jan 18, 2017 (48 pages, <1 MB)
- Aerobic Landfill Bioreactor
- Sep 2016 (45 pages, <1 MB)
- Agricultural Nitrous Oxide Emission Reductions-
Sep 2015 (122 pages, <1 MB)
- Afforestation Projects (retracted for revisions)
- Anaerobic Decomposition of Agricultural Materials1-
Sep 2007 (75 pages, <1 MB)
- Anaerobic Treatment of Wastewater Projects1-
Mar 2009 (75 pages, <1 MB)
- Biofuel Production and Usage- Oct 2014 (66 pages < 1MB)
- CO2 Capture and Permanent Storage in Deep Saline Aquifers–
Jun 2015 (65 pages, 1.1 MB)
- Conservation Cropping- Apr 2012 (106 pages, <1 MB)
- Conversion of Drilling Rigs from Diesel-Electric to High Line Electricity Source1- Feb 2012 (56 pages, <1 MB)
- Direct Reductions in Greenhouse Gas Emissions Arising from Changes in Forest Harvest
Practices1- Jun 2011 (81 pages, <1 MB)
- Distributed Renewable Energy Generation- Mar 2013 (39 pages,
- Emissions Reductions from Dairy Cattle- Jan 2010 (48
pages, <1 MB)
- Energy Efficiency for Commercial and Institutional Buildings1-
Oct 2010 (45 pages, <1 MB)
- Energy Efficiency Projects1- Sep 2007 (36 pages, <1
- Energy Generation From the Combustion of Biomass Waste1- Apr 2014
(75 pages, <1 MB)
- Engine Fuel Management and Vent Gas Capture Projects1-
Oct 2009 (97 pages, <1 MB)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery1- Oct 2007 (46 pages, <1
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (streamlined)1- Oct
2007 (36 pages, <1 MB)
- Fuel Switching in Mobile Equipment1- Feb 2013 (83 pages,
- Gravel and Lightly Surfaced Road Rehabilitation Projects1-
May 2008 (34 pages, <1 MB)
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reductions from Pneumatic Devices- Jan 25, 2017 (63 pages, <1 MB)
- Landfill Gas Capture and Combustion1
- Sep 22, 2015 (49 pages, <1 MB)
- Low-Retention, Water-Powered Electricity Generation as Run-of-the-River or an
Existing Reservoir- May 2008 (26 pages, <1 MB)
- Nitrous Oxide Abatement from Nitric Acid Production- Oct
2009 (56 pages, <1 MB)
- Non-Incineration of Thermal Waste Conversion1
– Nov 2008 (49 pages, <1 MB)
- Reduced Age at Harvest of Beef Cattle
– Jul 2011 (60 pages, <1 MB)
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fed Cattle
– Feb 25, 2016 (83 pages, <1 MB)
- Selection for Low Residual Feed Intake Markers in Beef Cattle
– Apr 2012 (104 pages, <1 MB)
- Solar Electricity Generation
– May 2008 (32 pages, <1 MB)
- Solution Gas Conservation
– Feb 2012 (46 pages, <1 MB)
- Substitution of Bitumen Binder in Hot Mix Asphalt Production and Usage1
– Oct 2009 (61 pages, <1 MB)
- Waste Heat Recovery Projects1
– Sep 2007 (35 pages, <1 MB)
- Waste Heat Recovery (streamlined)1
– Sep 2007 (31 pages, <1 MB)
- Wind-Powered Electricity Generation
– Mar 2008 (25 pages, <1 MB)
1 Protocol is undergoing review to address known risks in the protocol. No new offset projects will be accepted under these protocols until the reviews are complete or the project has received written approval from the Climate
Change Office. Please contact the Climate Change Office for additional guidance and more information.
Please contact the Climate Change Office to obtain background information that supports the protocols such as comments tables, technical seed documents for protocols.
Carbon Offset Emission Factors Handbook
The Carbon Offset Emission Factors Handbook contains a listing of common emission factors as well as common quantification methodologies. The Handbook includes
the Quantification of Avoided Landfill and Stockpile Methane Emissions. The Handbook will be updated periodically to reflect changes in methodologies and emission
factors. Current projects will be required to transfer go updated factors if they receive a project extension.
Draft Documents under Development
Alberta's protocol development process can be found in the protocol guidance document above. Protocol developers must adhere to each step in order for the protocols
to be approved for use.
Prior to approval, all draft protocols and guidance documents are posted for a 30-day public review and comment period.
To comment on a document:
- Review each document.
- Make your comments for each document using the comments forms provided.
- When you have finished making comments, save the comments form to your desktop.
- Forward your completed comments form to: AEP.GHG@gov.ab.ca
Draft Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers
Quantification Protocol for Greenhouse Gas Reductions from Pneumatic Devices
Quantification Protocol for Aerobic Composting
The following protocols have been terminated and are no longer available for use in the Alberta offset system.
3The Quantification Protocol for Tillage System Management (February 2009) has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol
for Conservation Cropping (March 2012) effective January 1, 2012 for offset credits generated in 2012 and forward. Opportunity to claim offset credits under the
Quantification Protocol for Tillage System Management (February 2009) expired December 31, 2011 for vintage year 2002 to 2011 credits inclusively. Project developers
bringing forward historic offset credits under this protocol have until September 30, 2012 to claim 2011 vintage credits. First Nations have until March 31, 2013
to claim historic tillage system management projects for vintage years 2002 to 2011.
4The Quantification Protocol Reducing Days on Feed of Beef Cattle has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fed Cattle.
Supplemental Program Information
- Clarification on Eligibility Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Projects on First Nations Lands- Jul 27, 2012 (2 pages, <1 MB)
- Flagging emission offset quantification protocols to align with carbon levy- Feb 14, 2017 (1 page, <1MB)
- Notice of Change for Global Warming Potentials- Jan 23, 2014 (3 pages, <1 MB)
- Notice of Change of Registry Service Provider for the Alberta Emission Offset Registry- Oct 3, 2014 (2 pages <1 MB)
- Notice of Eligibility Requirements for First Nations Tillage Management Projects- Nov 15, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Notice of Final Deadlines for Claiming Historic Offset Credits- Dec 20, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Notice to Aggregators Regarding Aggregation of Offset Credits Generated on First Nations and Métis- Dec 20, 2010 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Ownership Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Management Projects- Apr 14, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Ownership Requirements for First Nations Projects- Jan 28, 2013 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Reminder on Third Party Verification and Audits Requirements- Dec 20, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
Carbon Emission Offset Mailing List
The department has an automatic emailing system that distributes air quality modelling related information to subscribers. This e-mail list, along with the department
website, is the main mode by which air quality model users are informed regarding department policy and model updates. Subscription to this list is open to all
department staff, industry, NGO's and consultants, as well as members of the general public.
For more information, or to provide feedback or comments, please contact department staff by phone at 780-427-5200 (for toll free access anywhere in Alberta, first
dial 310-0000), or by email at:
Updated: May 2, 2017