The Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation replaces the Specified Gas Emitters Regulation on January 1, 2018. Updated regulations and publications are available at:
Screen-reader users: the following section uses links to control collapsible areas of content.
Alberta Emission Offset System Standards and Guidance
Approved Quantification Protocols
Flagged Quantification Protocols
The following protocols are flagged which means that a project developer cannot initiate or implement an emission offset project without written authorization from the director. For more information on applying to the director to use a flagged protocol, please see the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers.
Please contact the Climate Change Office to obtain background information that supports the protocols such as comments tables and technical seed documents for protocols.
Documents for 30-day Comment
Alberta's protocol development process is outlined in the protocol guidance document above. Protocol developers must adhere to each step in order for the protocols to be approved for use.
Prior to approval, all draft protocols are posted for a 30-day public review and comment period.
To comment on a document:
- Review each document.
- Make your comments for each document using the comments forms provided.
- When you have finished making comments, save the comments form to your desktop.
- Forward your completed comments form to:
Drafts Previously Posted for 30-Day Comment (Comments No Longer Accepted)
Stakeholder Notices and Program Updates
- Alberta Emissions Offset System Protocol Revision and Withdrawal- Apr 6, 2018 (2 pages, <1 MB)
- Interaction of Emission Offsets and Rebates from Energy Efficiency Alberta- Mar 12, 2018 (1 page, <1 MB)
- 2018 Carbon Competitiveness Incentive Regulation Compliance Workshop Presentation- Jan 25, 2018 (74 pages, 1.4 MB)
- 2017 SGER Compliance Workshop Presentation- Jan 12, 2018 (38 pages, <1 MB)
- Flagging Solution Gas Protocol- Oct 5, 2017 (1 page, <1 MB)
- 2016 Specified Gas Emitters and Reporting Workshop Presentation- Mar 24, 2017 (88 pages, 3.4 MB)
- Carbon Offset Emission Memo- Mar 12, 2015 (2 pages, 1 MB)
- Notice of Change of Registry Service Provider for the Alberta Emission Offset Registry- Oct 3, 2014 (2 pages <1 MB)
- Notice of Change for Global Warming Potentials- Jan 23, 2014 (3 pages, <1 MB)
- Ownership Requirements for First Nations Projects- Jan 28, 2013 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Clarification on Eligibility Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Projects on First Nations Lands- Jul 27, 2012 (2 pages, <1 MB)
- Notice of Final Deadlines for Claiming Historic Offset Credits- Dec 20, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Reminder on Third Party Verification and Audits Requirements- Dec 20, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Notice of Eligibility Requirements for First Nations Tillage Management Projects- Nov 15, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Ownership Requirements for Aggregated Tillage Management Projects- Apr 14, 2011 (1 page, <1 MB)
- Notice to Aggregators Regarding Aggregation of Offset Credits Generated on First Nations and Métis- Dec 20, 2010 (1 page, <1 MB)
The following protocols are withdrawn which means that no new projects can be initiated using these protocols. For information on withdrawn protocols, see the Standard for Greenhouse Gas Emission Offset Project Developers.
1The Quantification Protocol for Aerobic Composting Version 2.0 has been withdrawn and replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Aerobic Composting Version 3.0.
2The Quantification Protocol for Instrument Gas to Instrument Air Conversion in Process Control Systems has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Greenhouse Gas Reductions from Pneumatic Devices effective January 25, 2017.
3The Quantification Protocol for Tillage System Management (February 2009) has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Conservation Cropping (March 2012) effective January 1, 2012 for offset credits generated in 2012 and forward. Opportunity to claim offset credits under the Quantification Protocol for Tillage System Management (February 2009) expired December 31, 2011 for vintage year 2002 to 2011 credits inclusively. Project developers bringing forward historic offset credits under this protocol have until September 30, 2012 to claim 2011 vintage credits. First Nations have until March 31, 2013 to claim historic tillage system management projects for vintage years 2002 to 2011.
4The Quantification Protocol Reducing Days on Feed of Beef Cattle has been replaced with the Quantification Protocol for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Fed Cattle.
Emission Offset Mailing List
This automatic email system distributes information pertaining to the Alberta Emission Offset system to subscribers. This list and the department’s web site are the primary sources of information and updates on emission offsets in Alberta.
For more information, or to provide feedback or comments, please contact:
- Tel: 780 427-5200 (for toll free access anywhere in Alberta, first dial 310-0000)
- Email: AEP.GHG@gov.ab.ca
Updated: Sep 12, 2018