Fact Sheet & Poster
The Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) learning stations booklet is developed by Environment Canada. Educators can choose from six
30-minute learning centres for their grade 5 or 6 students, building skills in literacy, communication, reflection and problem-solving.
Developed directly from provincial and territorial curriculum documents, topics include:
- Environmental health issues
- How media, peers and family affect decisions
- Outdoor safety
- Ways to prepare for and predict various weather and/or air quality conditions
Available in English and French.
This free, web-based course through the University of British Columbia offers health care providers
- A comprehensive overview of air pollutants
- Guidelines for health professionals to advise patients on reducing impacts of outdoor air pollution on their health
- The health effects associated with air pollution for susceptible populations
- The use of the AQHI as a risk communication tool
Accreditation is available to many health professional groups.
Health Canada’s Air Quality Health Index (AQHI) Resource Kit is available upon request. This kit is useful for teachers, health practitioners and others that want to teach people the usefulness of AQHI. The resource kit includes a colourful
- A small poster
- Flip-top brochure
- Slide rule
- Tear sheets
Available in English and French. Printed version only.
School Curriculum & Activities for Teachers Gr. 1 to 12
The resources provided on the Open Government Portal are as follows:
- AQHI Curriculum Links and Activities Information Sheet
- Primer for Teachers and Educators in Alberta
- Letter to Parents and Caregivers
- AQHI Fortune Teller Game
- AQHI Introductory Activity: Fact or Fiction?
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Instructions: READ THIS FIRST
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Adult Edition PowerPoint
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Student Edition PowerPoint (16-square)
- AQHI Jeopardy Game – Student Edition PowerPoint (25-square)
- AQHI PowerPoint Presentation - "We Affect Air Quality. Air Quality Affects Us." - Supplementary for Grade 5 Weather Curriculum.
- We affect air quality, Air quality affects us – Worksheet
- AQHI Straw Asthma Experiment
Clean Foundation’s ‘Eddie and the Air Out There’ game and teacher resources.