Water Week in Canada is a week-long celebration of water and coincides with World Water Day on March 22.
Use Water Week as an opportunity to raise the profile and students' understandings of water.
Activity Idea for Schools
Here are some ideas that might inspire action in your school:
- In your library, have a display of grade appropriate books with water themes.
- In your class, have a fish bowl (like a ballot box) where students drop in ideas on how to use water wisely at school. Make a daily "Drop" announcement
that is randomly drawn from the fish bowl.
- Create a class or school banner. Visit the following website:
- School-wide pledge: "I pledge to conserve water and to use water wisely. I pledge to..."
- take shorter showers
- use less water in the bathtub
- use a broom (not the hose) to clean the sidewalks
- use a bucket and turn off the hose when I help clean the car
- collect rain water to water the garden and yard with
- World Water Day is March 22. Discuss with class what the day means and what individuals can do.
- Take a minute for water - have a collective moment of contemplation.
- Organize a team of Water Warriors. Their job is to encourage all students to use refillable water bottles. They will also remind students to clean
bottles with soap and water at least once a week.
- How does water recycle? Make water wheels or design a watershed. Include how you will reuse water within a watershed.
- Design a Rainwater House Challenge. Rainwater is relatively clean waste water and may contain traces of dust. The challenge is to build a house where
rainwater can be used. How would you design plumbing to make household rainwater possible?
- Host a debate/discussion or an essay contest: Do we use water wisely?
Alberta Information and Resources
Canada Information and Resources
- Ducks Unlimited
Visit the Ducks Unlimited website for the following resources:
Students can visit this website for the following water-related online activities:
- Rebuilding Wetlands
Students can explore some of the basics about wetlands and reclamation.
- Water Qualities SGE
Students can visit this page to learn about water and how to prevent water pollution.
Updated: Jan 21, 2016